Amsterdam is famous for various/obvious reasons, ~cough~ prostitution and liberal drug policies ~cough~ and they get quite a bit of tourism based on just these factors but there is so much more…. They should be famous for the following:
- Super tall people! I was amazed at how tall everyone was there.
- The people are super friendly and welcoming!!!!
What to do…
- Rembrandt House
- Canal boat tour
- Cannabis cafe
- Find some artisinal beer (generally German syle but I did find an IPA)
- Rent a bike to tour the canals so you can see what living like a local is like (most of them commute on bikes because the city is so flat and quite condensed).
- I went to the “torture museum”…
So about the torture museum….
I liked it, a lot. It is grim and dark,,, yes. but it also is a reminder of things past done. This is not a popular stop on the tourism route in Amsterdam but it is eye-opening. The Netherland people were explorers (which I appreciate) and they were very good at that and colonizing. No one disputes that. I am just curious about the relevance between the two. Every western country tortured, I know, it is just interesting to see the work from them that was invented as an effective colonial torture.